Apr 5, 2012

The Arabian Nights

To be frank, my trip did not get off to a great start. Just after landing at the airport, I had to go through a lot of stuff, which I have written in detail here. Gut feeling said it was gonna be two weeks full of hatred. However, it was not to be...


I do not have the expertise to hack a wifi router:
The first few days there, both my parents would go out to work and I would be all alone in home with loads of exotic food stuff and nothing else to do. On opening the laptop, I found that there were many Wifi networks, but all were secured. I tried everything I knew (well, everything = very basic, here), but could not get through. So much for fiddling with the terminal. What I did manage to do was complete all the seasons of 24 (Jack Bauer = American Rajni).

The Roads of UAE
UAE is not just a desert:
The Guinness World Record Holder

For a general person, the words 'Middle East' bring an image of a vast sea of sand grains into the mind. Well, that would be true only if you're in the middle of an uninhabited area. If you visit a town centre, you would notice that the greenery is even more than a tropical country. In fact, there is a place in the emirate of Abu Dhabi, called Al Ain which houses a large oasis (I tried to find the water source unsuccessfully.) Apart from the hot springs and a very well maintained zoo, having a variety of animals, there is something more. There is a garden of flowers, in such an Arid landscape. This is something I have never seen in my life. In fact, it holds the Guinness world record of the largest display of hanging baskets! Have a look yourself.

I can do anything to attend the wedding anniversary of my parents:
Last year, I had skipped one week of classes to attend it. This year, I did no less. And I must admit, it feels great. Missing those classes for this!

KFCs in UAE are not at par with their Indian counterparts:
I believe that is self explanatory. But on the other hand, Pizza Hut, Burger King and McDonald's are far better.

The Burj Al Arab

Everything you heard about the Burj Al Arab is true:
Yes, it is exactly as it looks in the pictures. Just what you imagined it to be like!

 
It's feels like 'Need for Speed' in Dubai:
All the cars you've fiddled with in Need For Speed, you will find it in Dubai! And I found one of my favourites: The Lamborghini Gallardo.

Abu Dhabi is the new Dubai:
Firstly, there is no oil in Dubai. Consequently, the only money that comes to Dubai is from the tourism. The recession that hit Dubai never left. Take the Burj Khalifa for example. Initially the Burj Dubai, the Dubai emirate ran short of credit to complete the building, and the Abu Dhabi Emir came in to the rescue, renaming it after himself in the process. Like it or not, Abu Dhabi is currently the leader in everything. Having the largest area among the emirates is also an added advantage. And low cash of Dubai is evident in the fact that many of its areas are not being maintained, hotels and restaurants running out of business. But it still has a long way to go.


Driving to iske baye haath ka khel hai

Dune Bashing is A.W.E.S.O.M.E:
The best part of the desert safari was the dune bashing. In fact, the guy driving our car was a native and he was just perfect for the job, maneuvering the car with only his left hand, with his right hand on the gear. It was both a great sight, and an enjoyable experience.


Dressing like an Arab is fun:
The first pic there says that, doesn't it?


I was alive when a kid stole the show of a Belly Dancer:
After a barbeque dinner, a belly dancer came on to the stage to perform. After a few minutes, she called out for someone who could dance with her. A kid who was most certainly below 10 came up and danced so well that each and every one was awed(including me, I forgot that I had a camera then). He was such a threat to her that an organizer had to go up and stop him from stealing the show.

Liked this post? Have any suggestions? Just let me know. Feel free to comment below!